Factors Affecting Thermal Resistance of Silicone Thermal Pads?
- Posted on：2023-04-13 09:54:00
- Source：AOK Thermal Pad Manufacturer FAQs
Silicone thermal pads have a good heat conduction effect in electronic product applications, and thermal resistance is an important performance index of thermally conductive materials. Reducing thermal resistance can improve the performance of thermally conductive silicone sheets. Thermal resistance is one of the materials in the process of preventing heat conduction. Comprehensive performance indicators, the greater the thermal resistance, the worse the heat conduction effect of the entire material, and vice versa, the better. Therefore, thermal resistance is an important reference index for the quality and performance of silicone thermal pads.
There are many kinds of silica gel heat conduction sheet products on the market, and the difference in material selection and processing technology will lead to different thermal resistance values of the products. From the perspective of most common products on the market, the thermal resistance value of ordinary sheets is between 0.05 degrees and 0.2 degrees per inch per watt, high-quality silicone thermal pads generally have relatively low thermal resistance, and the thermal resistance will not change much even after power-on.
What factors will affect the thermal resistance of the silicone thermal pad?
1. The thickness of the silicone thermal pad the thickness of the specific surface area is large, the thermal resistance is large, and the thickness of the silica gel is small, the thermal resistance is small;
2. Thermal conductivity of silicone thermal pad with high thermal conductivity has low thermal resistance;
3. The contact resistance of the outer surface of the silicone thermal pad if the contact resistance of the outer surface is large, the thermal resistance will be large, otherwise, the thermal resistance will be small;
4. The size of the silicone thermal pad a large size has a large thermal resistance, and a small size has a small thermal resistance;
5. Ambient temperature difference large temperature difference, large thermal resistance, small temperature difference, small thermal resistance.
There are many factors that affect the thermal resistance of thermally conductive silicone sheets. If the size of a product itself is very small and all components are sealed in a very small space, then the thermal resistance of the sheet product in this case resistance will be higher. In addition, if the size of the chip is relatively large, the value of thermal resistance will not increase but will decrease, and the aperture size of the product will also have a relatively large impact on the value of thermal resistance.
How to reduce the thermal resistance of silicone thermal pads?
1. Improve the production process of the silicone heat conducting sheet to make it more flexible and compressible, so that it can better fit the contact surface of the heat dissipation device. The better the fit, the larger the area, and the corresponding thermal resistance. will be reduced, and the heat dissipation performance will be improved;
2. Reduce the gap between the two devices as much as possible, that is, press the silicone heat conduction sheets in the two devices tightly to make the contact surface larger and reduce the contact thermal resistance;
3. Improve the production process of the product. The higher the process and the finer it is, the thinner the silicone heat conduction sheet used between the products will be, and the corresponding thermal resistance will be lower.
If you would like to learn more about AOK performance thermal materials, please visit our website at www.aok-technologies.com.